Michael Shakotko

Michael Shakotko
(above picture: Michael Shakotko in 1915)

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Bumper Crop and a Full House 1930 - Part 11


A bumper crop

The year 1930 God in his mercy gave abundant year for me, replenishing the years of the past. In that year I had 4520 bushels of wheat and 5864 bushels of oats. Threshing bill was at .9 cents for wheat and .5 cents for oats. I paid to my brothers $700.00 dollars. Though the price for the grain at that time was low but I managed to pay my debts, and yet saved some money, depositing in bank for them to start to build a house in near future, so much needed for my growing family.

Speaking of a family and a house herewith I want to say that towards the end of 1928, we had six children and us two, and mother (that lived 10 years with us). So that makes nine souls. To make it more crowded, father in law with his son, came from California and lived with us through winter of 1928-1929. Now you can imagine how crowded it was in our log house 16 x 22 ft. consisting of two rooms, kitchen and bedroom, attached porch was just for wind protection. So bigger house was badly needed quite a while ago, but as you know already, what befell us those years. So I couldn't afford at that time to build one.
Al, Vera, Reissa, Esther and Fanny the Horse - 193?

Seeing how everybody gets their hands into mothers saving fund for their needs as: paying first installment on buying quarter section of land or to pay threshing bill and for many other needs, so I decided to ask my brothers, to discuss the possibility of building a small cottage for mother while she has some money yet. Of course in due time they had a meeting of which I was not aware, nor invited. Later I received a letter from them informing me of the result of their deliberation.

Contents of it as follow:

“Where the window in your bedroom facing west, so if you cut the door there and build the house for mother; as for yourself, there will be enough of one window for you.”

This answer and a suggestion by letter, reached me, as though myself and my family have no right to have more light or fresh air through more windows than one. Later one of brother's wives present at that meeting informed me that they were afraid that in the event of mother's death, that cottage will remain mine. What a groundless fear! If I was invited or consulted, I could assure them or give them a signed document that they may have it.

After bumper crop in 1930, the following years became leaner and leaner. In 1931, I threshed only 1959 bushels of wheat and 3361 bushels of oats. Paid threshing bill (.6 cents –wheat .3 cents- oats) $218.37 for 1932 I rented from Cecil Smith his land that sided my land to the south, rented for 12 years bought in 1944.


Building a house in 1932

Also decided to build house in that year, so I hired a man for this summer by the name Mitro Grigoruk. He started to work 25th of April. After seeding my own land and rented he started to dig basement, and hauling gravel. Also I found one Ukrainian man by the name Jimko Gritsan, who was building house for one Englishman near Biggar. He consented to do the job of building a house for me at $300.00

Also I have reached agreement with the lumber yard man at Cando, that he will allow discount of 1/3rd of the price of lumber, provided I will be paying cash in a month’s time. So the work started on our new two story house; dimension 24 x 28 ft. with front Verandah and back porch. Needless to say, that this was the busiest summer for me, hauling cement, lumber and everything else needed for the house as hauling sawdust and attend and oversee the progress of construction; helping and giving advice to the carpenter, as he wasn't much experienced yet himself.

Here is the example: When I drove to Cando for lumber, and returned and inspected the stairs for  upstairs he made and installed already, I found out, that steps wasn't evenly proportioned, the top was only about half of the height of others. So I told him about it, he said, that he started to do it just as the width of the boards were, but didn't proportioned the steps evenly, he thought it will come up alright, but it did not so she said I will tear it down and make a new one. But as I had to go again to Cando for stairs lumber, I consented to leave it as it is. Later I found out that it should be rebuilt as that step was a stumbling one, and one has to fall.

If it was at the bottom, it could be not so bad yet. There were many more wonders in the construction of the house, but I am not going into details of everything now. One thing that I tried to build a warm house and sure enough it was: for three years I had neither furnace nor heater, except the cook stove, and it was comfortably warm. To the end of the fall 1932 the house was completely finished and painted. Besides digging basement and hauling gravel and lumber, and everything else that was needed for the house or better to say: without my own work; all the material and carpenter came to the exact amount of $1850.00 Also I paid to hired man for that summer $142.15. I hired him for 4 months at $22.50 a month that's $90.00. Stoocking sheaves at 150 = 1765 and he earned on threshing machine (except my horses) $34.50 that comes to $142.15, but really I paid him only $107.65, as he earned $34.50.

As by agreement had to pay cash for the material for the house, and I have saved from 1930 only $1300. So I have to borrow from Pool elevator agent. A Danish man by the name of Axel Peterson, who was a good friend of mine and trusted me, as I have told him when I will be hauling grain, I will repay you. In 1932 after threshing I had on my own land 2300 bushels of wheat and 644 bushels of oats and on Smith's rented land 501 bushels of wheat and 1925 bushels of oats. So gradually by selling the grain I paid my debt to him, and this had the house free of debts.


Going for a cranberry picking

Now I want to relate a not very pleasant incident that happened that fall of 1932.

Usually every year we go to pick wild berries in the forest or even to the north of Saskatoon River, such as: Saskatoon berries, raspberries, pink cherries, choke cherries and cranberries. This year we had no time to go as were busy but later after the work was finished, the hired man offered us his services, to take us to a place in a bush, where he knew from previous year, there is lot of cranberry bushes: and as cranberries better berries so it was right time to pick them.

Well we accepted his offer to lead us to that place. Prepared our lunch and packed some containers or utensils for the berries. I cranked my old faithful 1918 touring Ford and off we drove four of us; myself and hired man Mitro in front seat, and my wife and our eldest 12-year-old son Alex, at the rear seat. Mitro also took his wife and kept it between his legs, barrel of the rifle was upward. On our way, I told him: if the rifle is loaded, so you better unload it, he replied that he had safety lock, and it is locked.

So we proceeded to Red Pheasant Indian reserve, and through their village and farther in North West direction. All at once in front of our trail appeared a deer, Mitro grabbed his rifle in haste, and it discharged. My hands felt the heat of discharged bullet which went through the body of a car. It could be a certain mutilation or even death, but only by the grace of God we were spared. I reminded him that, I asked him to unload the barrel, and he disobeyed me, trusting on the “safety lock.” Later he was repeating as to himself: “I nearly killed a man.” so scared he was.

Michael and Lucy in Front Seat - (Leon in her arms?)
(Michael's mother in rear seat with Al)
Model A Ford in 1922
However despite this incident we continued our journey by grass grown old Indian trail with deep ruts. We hardly made mile or two when we were involved with an accident. We hit the rock, and the oil pan plug underneath the car, was completely torn off its place, and the car oil poured out to the ground. What now? As farmers usually carry with them pocket knives, so I had one too, I cut a piece of Willow tree and made a plug for a rag around it, and hammered it into the hole of oil pan. Now as my habit was always to have spare quarter of oil, so I emptied it into motor but as it wasn't enough, I decided to return to Indian village, to procure more oil. The village was nearly deserted; hardly found one olderman, and bought from him machine oil, and filled my car with it.

Though we had already draw backs standing on our way, we decided to pursue our goal, getting some cranberries. Off we drove again, but it was all in vain, our hired man Mitro did not find the place, though we were all over and near Battleford already, and thus with empty hands and unlucky adventures, exhausted and tired he returned home.

My Ford car with a Willow oil plug, served us for a few years more than I sold only motor (or engine) of this car to one farmer, who used it for cutting wood or grinding grain and from Chassis made a trailer. In 1936 I bought old used whippet for $290.00, put in new piston rings, but it did not help, was using lots of oil. In 1930 trade it for V8 sedan.
Shakotko Family in 1937 with Whippet
Michael, Lucy, Vera, Esther, Al, Reissa, Walter, Cousin Ann Skondin, Leon.

When our crops were often destroyed by early frosts, farmers always thought, that due to rainy periods which delayed the ripening of crops, that's why it freezes, but if drier season comes it will be better. Sure enough dryer periods did come. In 1931 and 1932 it did not freeze, but we had less and less yield. In 1933 we had a real drought. The crops were so short and sparse that there was no way to gather it. I made attachment to the mower to try to pick up some crop, but it wasn't practical. So I disconnected from under that part of it that binds the sheaves, and made a box with slant bottom and door on outer side and attached to binder, and made overhanging handle, that I could reach from my seat on the binder. So whenever box will be filled with loose stuff, I could dump it on the ground.

It was a deplorable job of gathering our crop, but we had to do it, to get something of it. Well I had 200 acres of wheat, and I threshed from these loose piles 500 bushels that comes to 2 ½ Bushels per acre. For threshing this crop, I paid $100.00 to George Elenko who threshed this crop for me. The result of the drought had its effect not only on people, but cattle also as there were no food for them either, and the farmers had to sell some of their cattle.

There were rumors that government is going to buy, to help farmers, so we thought it will pay reasonable price. When I drove a heard of ten head of cattle (steers and cows) on horseback to Cando, (a hamlet 10 miles from my place) there were Jews buyers, who just wanted to profit themselves from the farmers disaster.

They paid me $90.00 for my head of ten, that's nine dollars a head. Many farmers were on relief, getting through municipality necessity for their existence, even clothing as overalls and jackets. I decided to stay off the relief and somehow to pull it through. Only I was given one box of apples from the carload of apples that was donated by fruit growers in Ontario and arrived to our Cando.

My wife being a mother of six children foresaw the hardships we should face or live through; and in conversation with my sister Mrs. Elenko, told her that she will learn to spin the yarn. So she could knit mitts and socks for children. Sister told her that it is hard for older people to learn; that only when they are learning from the childhood days, that they can spin. She replied to her “If there is a will there is a way, and I will try.”

One day she told me to make her a spinning wheel. That by spinning wool she could help me to clothe our children. So I started to build one from the scraps of wood and pieces of iron. The wheel was made from boards of Apple box; where thread was needed on wood. I carved it with knife, and on iron spindle left hand thread was made by three corner file, and so on, until spinning wheel was ready. Though it wasn't painted or polished, it came out as a surprise to ourselves, it was light in weight and easy to operate, and she really liked it very much.

Now from my cousin, Mrs. Stesenko, we got once sheep wool, and she started to learn to spin, and soon she succeeded and mastered the art of spinning. While we all are asleep yet, she rises soon after midnight, and if I happen to awake, I can hear the noise of a spinning wheel, in a dining room or kitchen; hur, hur, hur. I don't know how she managed to do it, without so much needed rest at night, after each day's work, but she did it, sacrificing herself for the sake of her children.

Well there was enough spin and double twisted wool yarn now which she knitted into scarves, mitts and socks. The children were more warmly dressed now, especially in winter, to go to school and church. Also though my wife was not a tailoress but the life’s need, will teach you everything. Not only now, but previously while children were smaller yet, she was making suits and dresses for them. We were ordering material from Army and maybe at Regina such as Donegal tweed 54 inches wide (forgot the price) and colored cotton pants at .10 cents a yard or .95 cents for 10 yards. So from Donegal tweed she made suits for the boys, and from colored cotton dresses for the girls, trimming them with other colors, and it looks nice, except that it was from plain material. As the children were growing and started to go to school, they needed better clothing. So one day mother with girls, made an order of the most needed things, and it came to $32.00, but I had not that much money at the time, and told them to decrease the order things to very essential ones.
Vera, Esther, Reissa, Walter and Leon Shakotko - 1935

Now writing about those lean years and remembering with tears in the eyes, and with gratitude in the heart to the Lord for his guidance throughout our life, that he did not leave us nor forsake us, and in the person of my wife gave me a virtuous woman, like the one mentioned in the 31st chapter of Solomon Proverbs. So with her willingness and help and our mutual efforts, we succeeded in pulling through those lean years without any kind of relief from the municipality or government.

1934 was a better year for the crop, and I threshed 2162 bushels of wheat and 4204 bushel of oats on my own land and 1725 bushels of wheat and 605 bushels of oats on rented land. Paid for threshing $364.44 only thing that the prices for grain was very low .7cents per bushel of oats at so I was selling some to Eagle Creek farmers for .15 cents a bushel. Then I loaded a railway car about 1800 or 2000 bushels, right from the platform. That means hard manual work, as we had no loaders at that time, and as the loading time was only three days so I had to hire more horse teams for hauling $3.00 per load to do the job on time.

Well I did load that car full of oats and shipped it without taking any advance money on it, as other farmers did and as the price was low, so farmers try to keep it longer, maybe the price will rise couple of cents, taking a gamble as the price didn't advance any. So the company informed farmers sent carloads, to send money if they want to keep it longer, otherwise they are compelled to sell it. Of course nobody will do such thing as sending them money. So their grain was sold, and they were lucky yet to have that $75 or $100 they took on advance.

Later the company informed me to send the money, if I want to keep it longer, as I did not send the money, so they sold the car load of oats, and sent me a statement of sale and $9.00 (nine dollars) for the whole car load of oats. As the price was low, so freight and demurrage consumed it.

It won't be superfluous to mention at the same time about the barley. In previous years, can't remember exactly what years, I had some barley which was threshed into an open bin (without roof) and as that year there was no price at all at elevators, (as freight was higher than price at terminal) so rather then it will spoil from snow and rain, I gave to Straun and Perdue farmers, saying whenever you will be able, later to pay something or the price that it will be at that time. So in a year or two one farmer sent me $3.00 three dollars, for others it was just donation. Also for other farmers I was owing or selling on time oats for seed and feed, which never was repaid as I am the type of man lacking collector’s qualities.

In 1935 I had sown 175 acres of wheat and 100 acres of oats. Paid threshing bill to Ackimenno’s $261.25 as their charges were 95 cents per acre. (Not per bushel this time) I threshed this year on my land 1300 bushels of wheat and 1742 bushels of oats and on rented land 1391 bushels of wheat and 670 bushels of oats.

1936 was still poor year, Ackimenno threshed this time at .7 cents per bushel and I had of my own wheat 947 bushels, and 724 bushels on rented land. Paid threshing bill to Ackimenno’s $116.97 and I had 500 bushels of oats, threshed for me by George Elenko as .4 cents a bushel. So I paid him $20.00 total bill $136.97

1937 was a lean year again, due to drought and weeds, especially pig weed on the summer fallowed land. George Elenko threshed this time, for his machine and himself he charged $3.00 per hour, the teams and work men were mine. So I paid him for 12 ½  hours of work $38.25 and on rented land from Mr. Smith I had 30 or 40 acres of wheat on the summer fallow, so there were practically no wheat just continuous pig weed. So I didn't know what to do with it, but as amongst weeds, here and there are wheat stems. So I decided to cut in piles and hauled it into a hay stack.

Shakotko’s threshed haystack for $11.00, and it yielded only 60 bushels, from which I had to give share yet to a landlord. How much unnecessary and unprofitable hard work has been put into it. I had be better off if I had burned it on the root. It is not only myself, but my children as well Alex and Leon especially son Alex, who done mowing it, and then helping to haul it, and it was a hard job to throw on the rack, as the weeds sticks to one another, and by fork you can't take as much as you able to throw but the whole pile is coming along. So it really was hard unprofitable work.

Speaking of burning the crop I want to relate, that some years we had to burn the stubble, and I think it was the year mentioned above, (or maybe previous year) with son Alex we started to burn the stubble on rented land. The wind was favorable when we started the fire, but gradually increased its velocity, and changed its course, and the result was! the old stockpile was on fire and standing by straw pile granary full of oats was consumed by fire too. And one other year nearly was to have been similar tragedy. When Shakotko’s brothers were threshing at my place with a steam outfit, and they had no screen on engine smokestack, to prevent all flying out the sparks.
Water, Vera, a friend, Esther, Leon, Reissa with Dog POP - 1938

I was in the roofless bin, which was nearly full of oats, leveling it with a shovel. Suddenly I noticed the fire between granary and on the side of a straw pile. I shouted with all my might “fire! Fire!” and jumped from bin to the scene of fire. I thought the threshers will hear me and will come to extinguish the fire, but they didn't see nor heard me and continued to thresh. The falling straw from blower worsened my long battle with fire. I thought that I can't cope with it myself anymore, but at last with all my great efforts I did put it out, though breathless and exhausted I was after that.

In 1938 in 1939 threshing was done by Shakotko’s brothers. Their bill amounted to $344.00 and $459.79 in those two years. I had in 1938 on my own land 2433 bushels of wheat and 1589 bushels of oats, and on rented land 1026 bushels of wheat and 656 bushels of oats.
Michael Shakotko binding the wheat - 1938

In 1939, 3633 bushels of wheat and 2668 bushels of oats and on rented land 1012 bushels of wheat and 1179 bushels of oats. These years the yield was better, but as usual the price of grain was low, and especially in the fall when farmers has to sell, to pay threshing bill and other debts.
Michael Shakotko Stooking the Sheafs - 1938

I can't recollect now, what need I had but I had to borrow the money. So from Mr. Axel Peterson Pool Elevator agent, on September 11th, 1939, I borrowed from him $400. Repaid with interest $406.50 also on October 2, 1939 borrowed from Mike Kulesh $500.00 at 6% interest. On November 27 paid him $106.00 and for the rest signed a promissory note for $400 until May 27th, 1940 on this note $420.00

In 1940 threshing was done by Ackimenno’s and threshing bill amounted to $318.00 I have 2402 bushels of wheat and 1365 bushels of oats on my own land, and on rented 1213 bushels of wheat and 1005 bushels for oats. Recorded in myself that I was telling oats for my landlord 17 cents a bushel, and the wheat was around 50 cents a bushel. This year was introduced by the Canadian Wheat Board a quota for selling the grain. My first permit for a 1940-1941 was under No. 134022

1941 was poorer year. Threshed only 1083 bushels of wheat and 328 of oats, and on rented land 326 bushels of wheat. Threshers Ackimenno’s were selling wheat for 49 cents a bushel. In 1942 I had 207 acres of wheat and 60 acres of oats and though it had been touched by frost and graded No. 5, but yielded good. Ackimenno’s just started to thresh, and here comes the snow and early winter. So the crop was threshed in the spring of 1943. I thrashed 5086 bushels of wheat on my land and on rented 824 bushels of wheat and 3165 of oats. This is the second largest threshing bill I paid (first in 1930) amounting to $646.15 The price for grain, started to rise, at $.76 a bushel and oats 25-31 cents per bushel, but due to quota, farmers can't sell much grain.

1942-43 winter due to unthreshed crops, caused me a lot of extra hard work. Keeping the cattle enclosed, and hauling straw from the snow drifted piles from the neighboring farmers. In 1943 I hadn't much crop, as Spring threshing prolonged and I had no time to prepare the land. I have no record what I had on my land but on rented I had 240 bushels of wheat and 185 bushels of barley on 27 acres, that comes to 7 bushels per acre. So it seems the crop was poor.

 This is the last record that was recorded by me as to amount of grain each year because I have to give crop share to landlord. In 1944 I bought from Cecil Smith that quarter of land which I was renting and I kept no more records in my book. Though I had to record at that time, but they are not available now, and from the quota books, you can't know how much you had each year, (except the acres that has been sown.) As by quota you can't sell much crop in one year.

Since grain quota was introduced, it is still in force up to this day, I am writing this memoirs. As there were the years of World War II, so rationing was introduced by government, and the ration books were issued with coupons in it for edible produce. Also gasoline was rationed, and even new agricultural machinery was not obtainable. Only farmers who farmed on a large scale was able to buy in their need. I bought a horse drawn small garden cultivator at $1850 and have to fill a form of several questions.

Looking back at unproductive years, one may wonder how we survived. Well at first when we settled in this district of Lizard Lake, we had to depend on wildlife; rabbits, prairie chicken and wild ducks. To buy other necessities, we had to chop thickets and firewood in the bush and all it to town (Biggar) to sell it and buy a bag of flour, sugar etc. Later we had our own poultry and cows, that makes meat and eggs and milk. We didn't have much vegetables, as even potatoes freezes sometimes, and the size of a nuts only. But we had cabbage as to cucumbers we had them only in later years. So we had something to eat, only didn't have enough money to buy other commodities. Whenever there was a crop, that wheat wasn't frozen, the first load is taken to flour mill, so we could have supply of flour for the whole year; otherwise if it is not done so, later you may have no money to buy a bag of flour. Since I was married and we moved to our own abode, my good wife always had full yard of chickens and later, ducks, geese and turkey so we weren't starving.

As the children were growing and continued their schooling at public school, the girls especially the older one Vera wanted to learn to play organ or piano, but we had neither one of them. Well I started to look for one, and bought a secondhand organ for $25, and so it was small but it was good, and daughter liked it. So she started to take music lessons, first from the wife of municipal secretary Mrs. Shaw later at Cando, from Mrs. McDonald wife of elevator man.

Many times in winter on a load of grain I was taking her there a distance of 12 miles for one hour lesson. In payment we were giving her a dressed chicken. While the oration ?avering about chickens so I want to relate to incident about them….

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to the person who took the time to document and share some of the Shakotko family history. I one of the granddaughters of Leon Shakotko, and have visited the family farm in saskatoon saskatchewan many years ago. At the time I didn't fully comprehend or appreciate the strong work ethic and hardships that were overcome to help the family progress to where it is today. Thanks again for sharing.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete